The Town of Manteo dedicated the Roanoke Marshes Lighthouse on Saturday, September 25, 2004. The lighthouse is on the Manteo waterfront, on the east side of Roanoke Island.
The Roanoke Marshes Light is an exterior reconstruction of the square cottage-style screw-pile lighthouse which stood at the southern entrance to Croatan Sound, near Wanchese. It was decommissioned in 1955, and lost in the Sound during an attempt to move it to private property.
A boardwalk connects the Town boat ramp and marina, waterfront gazebo, playground, and picnic areas with the Roanoke Marshes Lighthouse, and the George Washington Creef Boathouse on the Manteo waterfront. All of this is within easy walking distance from great shopping and dining at Manteo's downtown businesses.
In 1998 the Roanoke Island Maritime Museum was opened in downtown Manteo on the waterfront. The Museum is located in the George Washington Creef Boathouse.
The Museum is a working boatshop where volunteers and staff take on projects including small craft restoration, exhibit design, and new boat construction. The Boathouse was the site of construction for the Elizabeth II, a replica of the ships said to have brought the famous Lost Colony to Roanoke Island in 1587. This, and several other restored traditional sailing watercraft, grace the waters of Shallowbag Bay in front of the museum.
The US Weather Bureau once used Coastal Warning Display towers such as this one to fly signal flags to warn mariners of wind shifts or approaching storms. On November 10, 1904, the Weather Bureau established the Manteo Weather Station with Alpheus W. Drinkwater in charge. The Manteo Chamber of Commerce requested that the bureau be given permission to place a tower on the grounds of the Dare County Courthouse.
In 2005, the Town of Manteo had the tower refurbished and moved to this site so that weather signal flags could once again fly on the Manteo waterfront. The Manteo Weather Tower is believed to be one of only five towers still in use, and may be the only one with all of its original signal lights affixed.
The Magnolia Marketplace is an open-air pavilion that is used for Town sponsored events.
Jule's Park was established by Jule Burrus and Guy Midgett. The two gentlemen were demolishing the old Manteo Elementary School when a perfect cross was formed by a piece of the rubble. That cross was placed on the Manteo Waterfront in memory of those who were lost during Roanoke Island's first colonization attempt and those who have yet to visit.
In honor and remembrance of Commissioner Edward Etheridge and his 20 years of dedicated service to the people of Manteo, the Manteo Board of Commissioners have renamed the park at the intersection of Queen Elizabeth Avenue and Ananias Dare Street as Edward's Landing.
The Manteo Skate Park was built by the Town of Manteo to provide the Town's youth with a place to safely skateboard. Now owned and operated by Dare County, the Skate Park is located between Marshes Light and College of the Albemarle on Uppowac Street.
Dedicated to Andrew Cartwright, founder of AME Zion churches in the Albemarle area, Cartwright Park is located on Sir Walter Raleigh Street. The park is situated on the grounds of Cartwright's first church, dating back to 1865.
Cartwright Park has a picnic shelter, restrooms, grills, and a playground.
The Pea Island Lifesaving Station is historically significant and distinctive as it was the only lifesaving station in the US to be manned by an all black crew. Under the direction of Keeper Richard Etheridge, the crew was hired from local black men in the community and were trained to be dedicated and dependable watermen in the service of lifesaving. The men of Pea Island never received any awards for rescues no matter how many lives they saved. The Pea Island Cookhouse is the first stage of the Collins Park Project.
Tours are available by appointment only. Please contact Frank Hester at (252) 489-0847.
The Herbert M. Collins boathouse is the second phase of the Peas Island Cookhouse project. It houses a surf boat on loan from the National Park Service. This boat is similar to the one used by the Life Saving Station at Pea Island.
Dedicated to the memory of long-time Town of Manteo Employee, Collis Gallop, this park provides safe place for recreation for the Town's children.
Born into slavery on Roanoke Island, Etheridge was in charge of the U.S. Life-Saving Service Station at Pea Island from January 1880 to May of 1900. The story of Etheridge and the Pea Island surfmen has been immortalized in the riveting book, Fire on the Beach, and recently made into a documentary film, Rescue Men.
The statue of America’s lifesaving and civil rights hero was crafted by Stephen H. Smith of Marshville who has also sculpted the likeness of Martin Luther King Jr. and Wilbur and Orville Wright. His works are in private, corporate and government collections nationally and internationally. The bronze sculpture will remain a solid reminder of what the human spirit is capable of achieving.