* Avoid building in a floodprone area unless you elevate and reinforce your home.
* Elevate the furnace, water heater, and electric panel if susceptible to flooding.
* Install "check valves" in sewer traps to prevent floodwater from backing up into the drains of your home.
* Contact community officials to find out if they are planning to construct barriers (levees, beams, floodwalls) to stop floodwater from entering the homes in your area.
* Remember there are no Red Cross Shelters in Dare County
* Be aware of evacuation routes. See Map above.